Monday, August 8, 2016

... Can you find a rich mixture of people who are as varied as the types of sand found on its beaches

As I mentioned in a former post, I'm a speech pathologist.  I work with the aging population at a skilled nursing facility.  The group of people I work with are each as different as the sunsets here, and all just as beautiful.  The patients that I have the honor of helping actually teach me more than I could ever teach them.  Everyone has a story, and although that's been true at every place I've worked, it is mesmerizing to hear the stories here.

Hawaii has a rich and dynamic history.  It includes wars and kings, unification, welcoming of new cultures, strong belief in the gods, and, of course, Americanization.  Living here for this short time, I can already feel the loss of the true Hawaiian culture.  I feel guilt for contributing to that, but also feel so honored to be surrounded by such deep rooted traditions from so many backgrounds.  Each day at my work, I am blessed with the opportunity to speak with elders who teach me about the farming history of the island, about the gourds indigenous to this area and what they were used for, about the birds that are only found here, and about the difference in how the winds flow in the morning versus the evening.  I know so little about this rich and beautiful culture and land; yet, I am enthralled with learning more about it so that I can do my part to respect it.

The culture of Hawaii is different for everyone who lives here.  I've met people who are snowbirds, coming to enjoy the beautiful weather and golf in their retirement years; they appreciate the aesthetic beauty of this island.  I've also met people whose family tree can trace back to when their ancestors lived in the fifteenth century, during the time of land division known as Ahupua'a.  I've met people who are young adventurers, surfing and looking for thrills all over the island.  I've met people who are of Japanese descent who farmed cotton that was then sent back to Japan before World War II.  I've met people of Mexican background who are descendants of the original Paniolo, the cowboys of Waimea who first arrived in the 1830s.  And then, of course, I've met people who are a beautiful mixture of these cultures and more.

With all of these different backgrounds, there is one uniting force: Aloha.  Aloha is the spirit that rustles the leaves as it passes through them.  It's the smell of the ocean and the sound of the waves as they crash into the lava rock on shore.  Aloha is the guiding light of the souls of those who live here.  It warms the soul long after the sun goes down, and surfs along the rays of sunshine or atop the clouds that come over the mountain in the afternoons.  Aloha is a living force.  They say someone can be "full of aloha."  It's the kindness and love for all people that is predominant here.  A person has to accept the aloha into themselves in order to share it.  To do this, the person must figure out how to connect with the mana and let go of the garbage that blocks our connections to each other and to the earth.  Each person's aloha language can be so different, but it can be seen, heard, and felt in every direction.  Each time a car stops so people can cross the street, that's an expression of aloha.  When mangoes are passed out at work because someone's tree produced more than they can eat, that's aloha.  When someone takes the time to talk story for a moment, showing they are never too busy to connect, then they are sharing aloha.  When someone new walks into a group and that person immediately feels welcome, they are being enveloped with aloha.

It is alive, rushing through the blood of those who carry it, passing through the "hang loose" waves, being lapped up from the water bowl for dogs at the farmer's market, hugging the necks of the receivers of leis for special occasions.  From the time my husband and I have arrived, we have felt nothing but aloha.

It all started before we even got here, really.  I subscribed to a few message boards about the Big Island and also somehow ran into the Facebook page for "Big Island Newbies."  It was here that I would post some questions in preparation for our move.  One day I posted about the neighborhood that we had purchased our house in.  I received a private message from someone who said she also lived in that neighborhood.  After that, she and her family cared for us like we were a part of their family.  She and her husband drove by our new house to be sure nothing was wrong with it before we could arrive.  They let us borrow furniture until our own items arrived.   They invited us over to celebrate Independence Day, our first holiday here, only 9 days after we arrived.  This family has been such a gift to us, spreading their aloha by helping us unpack, move our heavy furniture into our house when it arrived, and giving us suggestions on how to navigate the DMV.  They, as well as others, have provided us with their gifts of aloha.

Not all my posts will be this deep, but in order for you to understand the source of my future posts, I felt I had to try to explain my love of this place a bit.  Some of my future posts may poke fun at certain situations, events, or observations, but please be clear that I will never be speaking poorly nor look down upon any of the people or way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment